Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Art of Listening


I've always been a believer in listening to the hints of the Universe -- those quiet whispers that send you along a new path, through a new landscape. I've always believed that if you are careless and don't listen to the subtle song, a louder one appears. Still don't listen? I, personally, have always thought of the occurrence as the Universal Mallet -- somewhat like that famous computer cartoon with the duck beating his computer to death.

Well I obviously have failed to listen to the muses as that damn mallet appeared a few times over the last few days. Way too much drama for the trinity I try to keep together -- body, mind and spirit. Details don't matter. They rarely are the important part of the story. The END result is that I have abandoned my altruistic plan of free spaces. I will share with the people I know, love or at least trust :D and give up any Utopian ideals -- sadly but wisely.

So, this leaves me with many prims to use up on my own -- a daunting but not troublesome concept. It also leaves me with a fairly empty gallery. I have some more friends that may come over sometime soon, but OL hasn't made it far enough on their personal primetime meters. So until then, the Art Experience is mostly mine to fill.

The rest of the story is that yesterday, after more drama and frustration, I went to my graphics program and made some "art". Now only of few of my readers -- those who know who I really am -- are aware that long ago and far away in a land called the Real World, I was a fairly prominent and well respected artist. I gave that up almost a decade ago, not really by plan, but because of a lack of inspiration. So sitting down -- even at the computer -- to make virtual art was a fairly big step for me. One I never really expected to revisit.

It started slowly with an echo of some of my older works and by the time I finished the last piece in the series, I was actually happy with what I had created. I added a poetic artist's statement -- also an echo of other times.

So thank you Universe for bringing out the big guns. I appreciate it.

********************************

My new plan (assuming the Universe is in agreement) is to bypass the drama and the politics in OL much as I do in RL, to build with abandon and joy, to not worry about currency, platforms, mesh avatars and what may or may not be coming down the road. As I told my OL neighbor this morning, even if things never go anywhere, $60 a month is pretty cheap enjoyment.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post!
I am glad to hear your RL artistic stirrings have come back. As to the drama and stuff going on around OLG, you are right to leave it where it is and just have fun. You have a wise neighbor. :)

-Mac