Thursday, January 8, 2009

Biosphere Beginnings


After a productive if boring morning getting the rest of my boots refitted and ALL the vendors filled again -- work courtesy of the December Database Disaster :D -- I really needed a change. I had been thinking about building something in the sky -- something other than a giant building cube - LOL. And, in that quiet place between sleeping and waking I decided I would like to build a biosphere.

In my head I maneuvered prims and cut tori into interesting shapes. Alas, they don't really cut the way I wanted them too. Perhaps someday with Klee's new third cutting option, but not yet. I did manage to get a start however and we'll see where it takes me. The torus is 90 meters by 90 meters and has a glass dome and shiny metal surface. Both insides and out will of course have many more details before I am done.


In truth, I have no real plans for design or use of this space. It feels good though and that is a start. I also noted that you can see the stars through the dome at night. I almost always have my environment turned to day for building, so it was an unusual experience to notice the dark energies. I think I will plan on designing THIS space for the night. It won't be that dark as there will be lights in the halls, particles here and there -- and who knows what else. But I will take note of the night and work with it more than usual.

We'll see.

No comments: