Sunday, January 25, 2009

Performance Art



I've been building full time in Openlife for almost three months now and I find myself at a stopping point. I've always said that I didn't know if I was making product or props -- and I still don't know. What I do understand it that it is time to let the world catch up to me.

This isn't an unusual scenario in my life, I am almost always ahead of my time. So, I am going into storage for awhile. There is really no point in paying for a sim I won't be using. I've had a glorious time rediscovering my passion for building -- watching a new world unfold. And I have a chronicle of it all which was much of the point of being here.

Artists have a saying, "It's the process that counts". That has always been true for me. Results are good, but the journey is the important part. The trip with its twists and turns and surprises is what we learn from and what we remember.

I'll still be around from time to time, much like Samara on her 512 that checks in to see what's up in Phil's world. I haven't left the building, I've just gone off to another performance.


******************************************

I wrote the post above over a week ago. Since then the smoke and mirrors show has gone into full swing, more friends are leaving, the word elitist would show up in HUGE letters in Wordpress if it was hosting the forums. Some official forum threads are open to only group members (yes the groups are "open" but that isn't going over well with some). Posts are being deleted -- either by a moderator we don't know we have or some odd fluke of the forum coding. People are in hiding as the venom is flying in the forums which is really our only way of group communication.

The world is emptier for sure -- hence stability is up. There are lots of NEW issues however such as a first time occurrence (at least in the three months I have been there) of rezzed prims disappearing from in world. Prims don't always rez - they just fizzle, more inventory loss, prims rezzing 15 meters away and 5 meters up or so from where you told that pesky wand to put it, textures not showing up in inventory or rezzed prims. The list goes on.

There are no pokes and I have sent in NUMEROUS restart requests that somehow never get answered. Sakai is in the US for over a week and the devs are on Chinese New Years holiday it seems. Still the party line is that stability reigns and there have been very few restart requests.

So, I am packing up with a much heavier heart than I would have been true a week ago. Timing is everything and mine is usually pretty good, but I was a bit late on the get go this time. I wanted to believe. Like so many others I needed to believe. The people I trusted the most have left the building or are on their way out.

It's difficult today to tell who is who in the war we seem to be having. Is the enemy of my enemy my friend? Or is it an alt that my enemy made to seduce me into friendship? The Machiavellian dramas are so entrenched in Openlife that there is almost no room for real communication.

I still have hopes that the Phoenix can rise from the ashes. I'll be watching and checking in from time to time as I have observed other "oldtimers" doing. And I'm not sorry I came. It wasn't what I planned, but I can certainly say I was there in the beginning.

The landscape is getting barren with abandoned regions that still hold the names of the departed. It is an odd epitaph -- that empty rolling landscape.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is sad to read this post. Even though I knew it was coming it is sad to read. Mainly due to the potential. OLG has potential but what few really get is that that potential is not through the "coming soon" features. The potential is solely the people who inhabit the world. With every good person who steps out or sits down to watch it seems like the activity does not regain. In other words.. I could leave Second Life completely right now and in the same amount of time I fill out the cancel form hundreds would take my place.

OLG on the other hand is not rebounding like that. As you said.. Much land is owned by name only as many of the inhabitants have long gone.

I made a comment that some hyperboled into other meanings about how your Tutorials and similar efforts by others would be the key to making the world grow. Not that you hold magic keys or are the savior (as others put those words in my mouth) but that spirit of teaching and the talent of explanation is rare. I am glad your tutorials and OLG history from your view will stand. More people lack the idea of how to get started in basic building. Your tutorials could send them on a path of content creation which will help OLG even if you are gone.

Thanks for your views and tutorials. Thanks also for the discussions here and over on mine. Thanks most of all for your contributions to OLG when I was there.

Here's to closure and to the next chapter in your virtual world living. Whatever it brings. :)

Samara Kasshiki said...

Thanks so much. Yes it is sad.

Happily, since I don't read "their" comments about me or anyone else these days, I more or less missed your reference. Not a bad thing all in all (wink).

The good news is that there are some intelligent and discerning folks out there who read around the garbage spewing of late.

I am happy to be a small part of OLG history. I hope it is a long one. I can't honestly say I have much faith that it will be, but I hope I am proved wrong.

Taking a break for a bit, but then I suspect I will be on the road again. There are lots of exciting things happening in the coming months and new worlds being born. It's a bit like being at the dawn of creation -- well, not NEARLY that lofty. Still, exciting.

Thanks for being there for me through the madness.