Monday, January 19, 2009

Moderation

There are some people you don't want in your real life.

There are some people you don't want in your virtual life.

At the moment I am out of the maelstrom, but others are still in the whirlpool. Some have left the forums, some have left Openlife. None of this is good.

There are personality conflicts -- and there is overt evil. I have had brushes with both. I have done well. My fear is that others will not.

At Phil's place long ago there was a saying about people with "no payment info on file". You never knew if it was a second, seventh or seventieth persona of someone. When someone uses alts to further their ego, ranking or esteem it is sad. Sad for all of us.

I hate to admit it, but I am now in the beware of new folks without land category. I will treat them politely and answer their questions, but they will need to prove themselves to me. There are too many people in the world who are not what they seem.

Disturbingly so.


I set a few things in motion today which may help solve some of our world's current problems. May they take root. May they hold.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is always a good idea to feel someone out a bit. I used to take people at face value in SL. Once bitten twice shy and all that. I do know the alt game is alive and well in OLG from before I left.

As for the forums there it seems to be a showcase of showing off and butt kissing. New users will not benefit from that. Nor will they benefit when good people leave because they get tired of the game being played. If I could message Samarah I would tell her that her link to the freebie skin files was a major contribution. So what if they are as-is in the openlife files.. others may want to add personal touches. She offered a solid and was hit from the top on down I felt. It is going to be a small world if that keeps up.

Whatever you put into motion.. I hope it helps. For what it is worth your tutorials and Samarah's link to the skins are the kinds of things needed most of all. It is easy to slam down a bunch of imported items as freebies or tell people to use canned stuff in the default folder.. you both offer ways for a person to grow and learn. That is what will make the OLG grow. New worlds need innovation. You help provide the tools for that.

OK.. tome over. Good luck with whatever you are trying. :)

Samara Kasshiki said...

Yes agreed, much going on that isn't healthy for the world.

Don't read the "triad's" posts any longer so didn't get all the skins drama but suspect it got nasty.

And yes, her point was to make something new and learn. OMG what a novel concept :D

I'll send you a OLX message in a bit. Take care.