Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Cobbler's Bench


My script engine is still broken but INVISPRIMS are working (yeah) and I wore my heels for over an hour with no disappearing feet (bigger yeah). So what to do today? Make a new version of my favorite boots.

Now I am not the best builder out there. I'm not big on bells and whistles and not a huge fan of sculpties that sometimes take forever to turn into something, so my shoes are fairly simple. I try to pay attention to the details and to the FITTING which is what that picture above is showing you.

Building Tip:

Making shoes is a bit tricky on any world. Prims don't exactly line up as you wish they might and you have to balance strategic details with aesthetics. When you DO get your shoes finished -- be they the simplest sandals or the most complex buckle boots, you need to FIT them. Not only do you need to fit them for yourself, if you are selling them or giving them away -- you need to fit them so others can wear them easily.

I can't tell you how many shoes I have tried on that one foot fit perfectly and the other was WAY off. There is no big mystery there. The left foot simply isn't harder to fit than the right. The designer most likely got tired of fiddling. So fit that first color of a style, go away a day, check it again and make sure it is as good as it can get and THEN make copies in other colors. No point in having to fix six pairs of shoes when you could just get the first one REALLY right :D

On the PLUS side, it seems like attachments come much closer to a real fit in Openlife than on Phil's grid. So you don't have to rotate forever to get your shoe in the general area of your foot. This is a BIG help and my thanks go out to whoever fixed that.

On the minus side, our pose stands here (and even the poses in the library) don't seem to work all that well -- or at all. I've made myself a Tpose of sorts and uploaded my own in order to fit shoes, You CAN fit them when you are just standing but that is pretty tricky and you need to be up for a CHALLENGE :D

See that piece of foot showing through the one shoe? That is what you need to watch out for. Also your foot coming through the bottom of a sandal when there is no invisiprim -- or the invisiprims not covering all of the foot you want to disappear. You also need to watch that the soles of the shoes line up with the floor and that during your maneuvering you have kept the bottoms level -- in ALL directions.

AND speaking of invisiprims, if you have problems getting the server to accept the invisiprim code, you can take a pair of shoes where the script did work (an on a good day issue) unlink it from the finished shoe and reshape it to your new shoe. Works well and gets your shoes up and running.

Meanwhile I have a whole new Fall outfit on with BOOTS and that makes me feel good!

No comments: