Sunday, December 14, 2008

Update Blues

The Openlife major update has been going on what seems like forever, but I think is has only been three days. Three days -- if we look at the day / night cycles of virtual worlds -- can be closer to 18 in "real" time. Well, maybe not, but it sometimes it seems that way. Time definitely moves at a different rate.

I was lucky in many respects as my sim was up until yesterday afternoon. It came back online this evening. So gone for over a day. Still, I got onto the sandbox a few times and made some outdoor furniture (all but the scripts), an upgrade to my hair (yeah), some animations and the start of a fantasy lounger that is very popular at Phil's place. So I've done enough for the day.

The frustration level is very high. Not so much with me as I have been busy closing down my shop at Phil's and doing those bits and pieces of building when I could get into Openlife, but for people who I expect are firmly entrenched in business in their physical worlds. They believe that OLG is commercial -- and it is. But it is an organization that is stretched and working hard to keep the priority list at bay. It doesn't take a seer to figure that out.

So a lot of fist shaking is going on. I can't imagine it will do any good. If I was on the other side of the computer screen (and world) I wouldn't be worrying too much about the people who can't buy into the ideology of patience -- especially when there is an overabundance of others waiting to take any vacated places. The people that can cope, breathe deeply, relax rather than rant, will be the ones to make it through the transitions of the next year. The others will most likely disappear with their fists in the air -- puzzled that their complaints and demands didn't get them very far.

There is a lot of speculation about what will happen when the next wave of "SL refugees" come to the OLG. The grid isn't ready for more folks. I think most people would agree with that statement. There are still plenty of people waiting for their clusters to emerge from the endless depths of blue. Still, the new people will come, unprepared for life on the frontier.

It should be interesting.

No comments: