Monday, December 8, 2008

Historical Perspectives

This is indeed a blog about Openlife and not Phil's domain. Samara, however, is still in Phil's world and since Samara and Sam are at LEAST twins and possibly the same person simply in different worlds, what happens to one reflects on the other -- and of course the person behind them both.

I also, have to guess that I have a few readers that are still at Phil's -- who may be simply wondering about Openlife and what it could do for them. Part of the intent of this blog was to make the transition a bit easier, so with all that being said, here is a bit of history for the archives.

December 8, 2008

A few major things happened in both worlds today. First a friend of a friend (really) who also lost a huge amount of inventory in "L" land, also got his group names changed by LL without notice, permission or any record being left (accountability). I don't know this person at all, but I was still wrapped up in his description of events. Most of us have been there in one form or another. This week I have found many textures missing from my "L" inventory and just last night I clicked to sit down on a chair (not of my making, no copy) to receive a message that the item was not in my region and I needed to move closer. The chair disappeared at that instant and hasn't returned. I have no holiday store as ALL my holiday items (part of 1,800 missing) disappeared in October.

Then my estate owner dropped by with a land issue. It related a bit to the mini sim fiasco as that impacted him and that impacted me etc. etc. etc. The details don't matter, but that fact that I so willingly typed, "I'll abandon the land if you can give me a day or so" was sort of a revelation. I already knew I wasn't embracing Phil's any longer. The thrill was long gone with the bells sounding their lament around the end of October.

I am still making money there. It pays my rent in OL and a little more. The good old days are gone for most of us it seems in many ways -- not only monetarily. So, that's the way it is. My estate owner decided he wanted me there more than I wanted to leave so I am there for awhile longer. I made no promises and expect none from him.

AND in OL, a new poster on the forums found a huge permissions problem (not the previously reported one) which let's anyone put ANY item they have with ANY permissions into a Take a Copy box and essentially transfer it to another person with a click. The permissions of the items stay the same for the second person, but they could of course create another Take a Copy box and perpetuate the transfer and copy. It looks like the no mod permission might stick. I didn't test that but it seemed to.

So, nothing is perfect in either of my virtual worlds -- and indeed of course -- nothing is perfect in the real one either. You would THINK though, with all the magic that we can preform in our digital lands that we could get a bit closer. It's an idea and maybe even a plan.

Meanwhile, I'm off to build a daybed!

No comments: