Saturday, December 6, 2008

Moonlight Fountain


I sprinkled my new tree around and about the sim this morning. So much cheerier and that's always a good thing. Then I decided to work on a fountain for The Village. Now I could have remade a favorite fountain of course, but where's the fun in that? So I started -- once again -- with no plan except that the stone needed to match that already in the courtyard.

Since the fountain was going in the prosperity corner of the sim and since that is tree energy fed by water feng shui wise, I thought, "why not really go for it" and looked up the number that is auspicious for that energy. It was four. Four was simple to incorporate into the fountain and so I did just that.

I tried to make some curved benches to go around the fountain, and while I could DO that trickily, the sit script needed to make my poses work was definitely not doing any good for the sim. So, I abandoned that ideas (stability - stability - stability) and made plain benches and placed them in the grassy area already there. That works. Good to have seating options and nice to have some of my animations and poses around.


Building Tip:

Most of us have learned to "pull a prim" from one already there to keep the alignment. That works very well most of the time. There ARE times however -- like when you have texture and texture rotation and light features and the like already IN your prim -- that simply dragging a copy of the prim you want WITH all those features from another area and then aligning with the POSITION numbers is the easiest plan.

The diagram above shows how I took one of the water prims from the top of one pillar and placed it on top of another by matching the X and Y coordinates. The Z coordinate was the same in this case as the side pillars were all the same height.

I simply clicked on the top ring of the pillar I was headed for and copied those values into the water prim (highlighted in the photo). The alignment is then perfect.

No comments: