Saturday, December 27, 2008

Community

I just wanted to make a quick post this evening. People often ask what the difference is on the Openlife grid. Why should they come? What is better than some other grids? You get the idea.

The BIG answer is that the Openlife isn't for everyone. It is new, it is buggy, it is an adventure and you are often ecstatic if you can log in and doubly so if your script engine is actually working.

What is DOES have -- for better or worse -- is a fairly close knit community. It is much like living in a small town. I've always liked small towns and I live in one now. Really small :D What comes along with that is recognizing names from the forums, meetings and casual get togethersl; running into the same people on the sandbox whether you were PLANNING on going to the sandbox or orientation island or not (wink), and knowing your neighbors.

Today I was having trouble with the script engine being down again. This is an ongoing problem for me and Sakai wrote to validate my suspicion that it was "my neighbor". Now I have no idea who that neighbor is, but I know which ones it isn't as their sims stay up when mine crashes - LOL.

The whole script engine scenario doesn't matter all that much. What matters was that the head of the company actually wrote to me. This is not the first time that has happened. While communications are still a problem, there is definitely a more intimate sense of connection to the powers that be and the tech team.

And THAT is one reason why the Openlife is "better".

No comments: