Friday, December 26, 2008

Virtual Dollars


The theme of using Linden dollars for payment of goods on the Openlife grid has come up a time or two in the last few days. People have contacted me in Phil's domain wanted to know if they could pay me for goods in Lindenland and get delivery in the more Open grid :D

In fact, that was an original plan of mine long before permission issues raised their head. I was then warned by Sakai-- almost two months ago -- that I could be in jeopardy of loosing my account at Phil's if I took Linden dollars in exchange for virtual goods, land, rent etc. Others who had been in Openlife awhile chimed in with the same song and so of course I paid attention.

Some of you coming over to our not ready for prime time grid may have this same plan, so I thought it prudent to warn you. I did a bit of researching on the Linden Labs website and while I did not find any particularly pointed "don't do this" comment, I did find this bit of info:

Linden Dollars represent a limited license right to use a feature of the simulated virtual environment รข€” namely the commercial aspects of Second Life. L$ derive value in their ability to be redeemed by other Second Life Residents who have a desire to engage in these commercial activities. L$ will retain their value as long as there are Residents interested in using them.

That quote comes from THIS PAGE.

Now I know people are using Lindens for payments on the Openlife grid. It works. It can be done and I doubt that Phil's sleuths are going to worry about each and every occurrence. Still, if you l have ties in Phil's world that you value, it might make good sense to use Paypal as many others are doing or simply wait until we have our own currency.


Just a thought :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truthfully, I have seen lindens used to pay for RL items. FlipperPA was one of the first I ever saw when he offered video cards for sale on what was then SLBoutique (now onrez). People have also paid for RL books via lindens.

I know that Legend City is swapping their currency for lindens and even accepting lindens for rentals in LCO in some cases according to a recent thread on the official SL forums recently.

I would ask Sakai to specifically point to where the TOS implies this for clarity. The part you quote is more to let people know that lindens as a currency could some day poof if residents no longer valued them. It is a covering their own butt part from what I can tell.

lindens have no value. The risk is in if you pay someone in lindens and they do not deliver to OLG or LCO or wherever. If that happens LL nor the grids involved would get involved and that investment is simply gone. ;)

Just my 2 cents from what I have seen going on for years in SL.

Samara Kasshiki said...

Thanks for you comments, Mac. All very valid points :D If I felt I could get a "absolutely" type answer from Linden Labs, I'd ask them, but we all know they change the rules so often it would be useless anyway.

I suspect Sakai doesn't want in the middle of all this, just a warning given. I know lots of people are accepting Lindens for OL goods. I also, long ago and far away remember reading something on the Linden Dollar page (yes, I actually READ all that stuff) about Linden dollars were only to be used for SL(R) goods. It's not there any more or I can't find it. That may have disappeared with the LCO tie.

Actually I think I WILL write to Linden Labs and at least ask for an official answer. Ya never know. If I actually get a reply I will definitely post it.

Glad you back at Blogger. New beginnings are good.