Sunday, December 21, 2008

Inventory Blues - Take 2


It's been a tough weekend in Openlife. The grid has been down a lot and inventories are rolled back to somewhere around two weeks ago except for textures you were wearing. At least that is how it affected my inventory and those of some folks I checked with. I have lots and lots of newish empty folders, missing textures and the like. In theory it should all be returned in a few days.

Since I still have that very bad taste in my mouth from the inventory purge at Phil's where we all seemed to lose OLDER items, I am keeping my fingers crossed. Meanwhile I can upload again and I have done that already with some things. I do NOT want to have to make that SKIRT over again though and it, of course is gone as it is new.

So.

So.

So.

:D

So what can I (and you) learn from this? One thing that has held through from the other grid is that items rezzed in world were "safer". I have a nice daybed that is named Daybed with Three Animations from Sam's Place. Guess what? It now only has one animation which was the FIRST animation I added. That post link is from the 8th so we have some clue as to the the timing of the meltdown as I added new animations to the daybed the next day. That is about the only thing I found actually wrong of the items in world. So, they definitely did better than my inventory.

Long ago and far away at Phil's, I placed copies of all my worldly goods as well as textures etc in safekeeping objects. This, I think, was a fairly good idea. What I DIDN'T understand was that the database would replace my new and improved objects (say a book I had made earlier and then filled with goodies) with the original book - an EMPTY one. So that didn't work there. What I did discover is that on the one safe-keeper object I made NEW, the objects remained.

Building tip:

So my new plan which may again do me no good in the end is to place my backups in brand new just created boxes rezzed one at a time. I can't see any better plan. Objects gone from my database at Phil's (and here so far) are the same objects missing in friends inventories. So my best guess is that my menorahs for example have left Phil's forever and are not to be seen again unless someone had a copy out on a shelf in October. Ya never know.


On the plus side (and there usually is one if you look hard enough for it) I had all my new boots out on stands in the shoe store. So I HAD them. They unfortunately are no longer "wear to fit" and so they had to be refitted. The invisiprims also mysteriously shrank in width so didn't cover the whole shoe. Have NO clue there and will need to check all the others when (oh please) they come back.

So not a fun weekend here on the frontier but hopefully it will all be a faint memory soon and our inventories will be returned in good shape. We can only hope.

I'd really like my updated hair back. It took me a LONG time :D

No comments: