Friday, December 12, 2008

Full Perms Ripoffs

It all started with HAIR! Well, all is vanity so no big surprise there.

A few days ago I ended up on the Openlife Orientation Island -- one of those you can't there from here so we'll put you THERE adventures. Other well dress (hence presumably not new) folks were chatting when I arrived --no doubt also dropped off in an unplanned escapade.

The first thing I noticed was that some of their last names were Linden (hmm). The second thing I noticed was that two of the women had Samara's other grid trademark hair. Be still my beating heart. Was my HAIR available - for trade, bribery, gray market Lindens ( who cared ) -- on the OLG?

I waffled between major happy dancing and scepticism. The hair had most likely been brought into world with Second Inventory software. That should mean that the owner was the maker, but we all know that isn't always the case. Looking at the profiles of the women in question didn't convince me all was legit. They were very ODD profiles for the OLG going on about there great stores in the other grid.

After a couple of days I actually got around to writing the maker of the hair. I had corresponded with her over the years but we really don't know each other. It turns out sadly that the hair in question was ripped about a year ago -- copybots gone mad -- and then distributed as full perms around and about. This was DEPRESSING. Not only are people bringing in their own goods with Second Inventory, they are bringing in stolen goods. And, on a personal note, the Samara at Phil's is wearing stolen hair even if she paid the originator for her copy. Not good.

Anyone who has read many of my posts, know I am not a fan of Second Inventory. I believe starting over is a good thing. So Sam and Samara will live in their homemade hair for awhile longer and eventually get something grand from an OLG maker. That's my plan.

Meanwhile, I hope the permissions problems get rectified soon so we can offer homemade OLG items to both new folks and old timers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For awhile there people could sign up with the name Linden and even OpenLife if they wanted. There are a couple real Lindens that visit OLG that I knew of but most (likely all you saw) are not the real deal, Sam.

I ran into a guy with the openlife last name one day and thought it was a new hire. He was pretty rude and when I asked about him later nobody had heard of him. Names like Linden should be blacklisted for obvious reasons.

Sorry to hear about the ripped hair. :(

-Mac

Samara Kasshiki said...

Yes, figured as much. The whole set up seemed pretty odd actually :D They were not listed as real Lindens at Phil's.

I was in the chat room briefly when a REAL Linden was visiting. Wasn't pretty -- oh well. Take care.