Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Art Experience


The art building is complete for now. I'm happy with how it turned out. I originally made an open area in the floor so that people could fly up if the teleporter wasn't working. I gave that idea some more thought this morning. Point A: it is a guarantee that the teleporter will not always be working -- at least in the short term. Point B: I have UNLIMITED prims (well pretty much).



The end result -- spiral stairs. BIG ONES. While you can still get dizzy, falling off isn't really a problem. And they DO make a statement. It's a very large space so the stairs work fine. I added some light to the stairs themselves.

TIP: It's always good to look at your build at night. Your visitors need to be able to get around at all times of the day. New folks especially are not aware of their power over the time of day.

TIP: You can turn on BRIGHT in the texture tab (build menu) to lighten an area. This is extremely important with vendors and signs. You can use LIGHT under the Features tab to add cast light (task lighting) to an area.

While it is dark in there right now, I opted to leave it as I expect with paintings and sculpture and the like will take on a brightness. We'll see.


TIP: If you link several objects in OL (like stairs in this case) you will find that they become phantom. Pretty difficult to walk up stairs when they are phantom -- you simply fall through. I assume this will get fixed eventually, but the quick fix for now is to unlink them.

TIP: When you are moving very large prims, you often need to stand on them (or over them). As you move them, they become phantom and you fall through. Currently you can simply fly back up through the phantom object and you land on the prim again. This is if it is a GOOD day on the frontier of course.

This was a fun build. I had no idea where it was going when I started. I just let it evolved and let USE have control over the design. It was so fun to simply build and to be able to play with shapes and see what evolved. I hope the space gets some good use :D

No comments: