Thursday, November 20, 2008

History: Made on the OLG

So I felt it would be good to paste this comment in from the official forum. After all, this blog may outlast the archives there. I've seen those old post disappear before (smile). But before I hit that Ctrl + V, here is a bit of history as I will most likely forget all this by the time I reread it as a memoir - LOL. Those old brain cells may not last. Ya never know.


Here's the history FOR the history section of this blog. I have not posted these thoughts in any public arena. You come here, you read what I actually think. So that's how it is.

When I first arrived on the OLG I was like everyone at that time -- red and gray and even less desirable looking than Ruth. I think the fellows ended up in the same avatar which makes it even worse :D. Not long after my arrival someone gave me a landmark and I ended up at a freebie store. I was VERY grateful to have something else besides my red and gray garb. But just a few minutes after I started opening free boxes I was faced with SL public domain goods. Not only full perm shop stuff but things that I actually WORE (and they were old then) over two years before.


I was SO not willing to go back there. I quickly looked up some clothes files and made my own. Goody for ME, but not everyone had a lengthy list of already made clothes textures. None of this probably matters if the new person is really NEW to virtual worlds, but if you are an oldtimer in SL it was not a happy occurrence -- at least not for me.

So not long after I got things together I uploaded my first skin and put out some "original" freebies for people. Then the permissions problem happened and I wasn't willing to make my things public domain in SL so I took them offline for awhile. Then I made some beach shoes and boxed them and put them out in Take a Copy form and urged others to make some original content for the stores (sometimes their own stores). Many folks were already doing this, but there were still more places with not so new items.

Some folks decided (or declared) that they wanted to make their items to give away and for sale here rather than import them. They embraced the Made on the OLG idea and it grew into a retail model of sorts. A model of CHOICE certainly. Does it mean that stuff made here is BETTER? How could you say that categorically? It does mean that people took the time and made the effort to make things HERE on their new world. I, personally, think that matters.

I have absolutely no plans to be a retail baron here. If I can manage to pay my rent to Sakai each month, I'll be a happy gal.



And that leads us to the post:

***************************************************************************


Lots of points in a tiny post.

First of all the original idea WAS about the freebie stores. Then people starting picking up the idea in relation to the items "brought over" as you say. This is in NO WAY a marketing label or gimmick or anything like that -- at least not from my point of view and not my plan. As I have said many times, this is NOT my thing. People can do whatever they like with the idea. It will no doubt change and become what it will become. Some folks asked for logos for their websites and vendors and such. I simply posted mine. There is absolutely NO reason anyone needs to use mine. Just if they do, it needs to be on goods made here.


I personally AM making all my goods in world and not bringing over items from other worlds -- with that being said TEXTURES have been uploaded by hand into OLG and I have remade clothes. Not trying to hide anything here. This is my choice and my ethic. People certainly have a right to work in whatever way they choose. I am happy with the decisions I have made re retail and I assume that they are too. They may think they are smarter to use Second Inventory to get their products here and they certainly HAVE a point re ease and time expended. No argument there.


Love your logo. I originally suggested people send in logos. I see no reason really that there needs to be only one logo or one movement with the same goals.


I'm sorry but I don't really understand the following paragraph of your post so I can't really make any comment on that. I'm sure that if I was writing in Spanish you wouldn't be able to understand my ideas readily -- even if you were a native speaker (wink). As far as I am concerned, if it works for you that's great.


If the abouve is true, i`ll be asking people and shop owners for OLG freebies the moment I have some thing built to place and give out those items, but, have them with a reference to their OLG store and if needed to their SL store to confirm that they are TRUE OLG freebies with a logo to add to their item texture.

And I have no idea what my original idea will become. I, personally, have put a small Made in the OLG logo on my company logo as I am proud of the extra work I went to and happy of the new designs I have made so far. I have signs in some of my shops also. If that makes me elitist, then perhaps I am. It's simply what I believe in.

We all need to do what we feel good about doing. This is what feels right for me.

All my best on YOUR plans. May they lead you where you want to go.

No comments: