Saturday, November 1, 2008

Pioneering Our Virtual Worlds

Openlife celebrated its one year anniversary this week. Add to that the disgruntled folk waving fists at Phil's minions who had the audacity to change the rules and raise the rates (gasp) and you have a mini migration of sorts to Openlife.

I was one of those. Not because I was upset with the current state of affairs in Phil's world. I am very happy there, doing well and for once understand the problems with the mini sims. That's a long story and doesn't apply here. Let's just say that my REASON for exploring Openlife this last week had nothing to do with anger. I simply hadn't heard of it before. Then I saw a blog post on the fashion feed, and definitely wanted to see for myself.

So after dinner one evening a companion (also well versed in Phil's Land) and I journeyed over to the new frontier. It was a bit like being on Phil's beta grid. There were so many new people trying to get in that Openlife's version of Help Island was full. Some volunteers, I assume, were helping those of us just arriving handing out shapes and giving us directions to one of the freebie areas for new residents.

I wasn't around when Phil's Place was REALLY new, but I would guess from talking to others that the flavor of Openlife is somewhat similar to three years ago at Phil's. The TECHNOLOGY is of course much better and sharper. Things don't always work, however. You can't always log in. You can't always TP etc. We all remember those feelings -- maybe from last year, maybe from last week.

People were in good spirits though as we bobbed and typed and tried on some of the very limited amount of free items. The majority of the conversations going on around me were disgruntled as I mention. The others were on the order of, "yes its interesting, but is it ready for us?". Perhaps the real question is are you ready to cross the frontier a bit.

There are some impressive builds here and some transitory works. For a mere $89 you can have a whole sim and that pays for a month's rent (rent goes from the beginning of the month). The "tier" after that is $59 and you are responsible for remembering to pay -- just like real life. The world is free to join, you can make several (no mention as to how many) avatars if you like and you can experience being in a more frontier environment that we currently enjoy at Phil's. And since this is a M-15+ environment the sex shop atmosphere that predominated the mainland when I joined Phil's is missing. Sigh of relief here. Ad farms are also banned.

*************************************

What you gain is freedom -- and some very cool new building possibilities for you builders. What you give up is creature comforts.

For most of the folks I ran into, it had been awhile since they came out of their pods at Phil's. They had forgotten how scary it can be to see themselves with no texture on their skins and no hips on the bodies (this for gals of course). The Openlife default avatar makes Ruth look like a model (wink). At the same time, most of the folks I met had some skills and generally knew how to get around. The client being an almost exact replica of the LL version makes it easy.

Openlife is a builder's dream. You can make HUGE prims. I think 100 meters is the limit but don't quote me on that. You can build at 10,000 feet and you can do 99 percent hollows. That came in handy when I made a conical kiosk with 30 foot cylinders. You can do wondrous thing that you have only dreamed of in Phil's sandboxes. My complete 32 meter round welcome building took 24 prims and is very impressive in a simplistic way. BUT prims are NOT an issue as a sim supports 45,000. Nope, I didn't type that incorrectly. That's the number. Please crawl up off the floor and dust yourself off now.

********************************************

As of today I have land -- a great location actually so my land karma is following me and I am glad of that. I have a plan too of course and that will be unveiled in the near future as I am a fast little gremlin -- especially when on a creative roll. I just wanted to jot down the beginnings of a history here. This will be mainly a business page, but I am sure that personal things will wander in from time to time.

And that's the way it all started.

No comments: